- I set several goals for myself for 2011.
- Some of them are the same goals I set for myself in 2010 but never did.
- My own history says I'm not very good at achieving my self-discipline goals, but I can't seem to quit setting them either.
I'm sure there's something twisted in there- maybe a lot twisted in there. Especially since I'm pretty sure a calendar year is merely a psychological transition more than an deep seated convictional transition for most of us, which is probably why I suck at holding onto my goals set during this season of my life most of the time.
Regardless, because I want to continue to change and grow and become someone better than I am, I used this new calendar year to set some goals in the areas of finances, family, ministry, and my own soul and physical health too. I shaped them by reading this set of principles I wrote for myself back in April of 2010. Consequently, I hope they have deeper roots than most of my January goals. Perhaps the most helpful tool in keeping my life on track in 2011 will be the perpetual asking of the following 10 questions in light of my top five core values I'm trying to foster. I really hope they make 2011 a banner year for me. I'm going to print them out and review them weekly, if not daily.... I think :)
PLEASE GOD AND NOT PEOPLE
- What is my motivation for ______________?
- Am I living for an audience of One?
TAKE CARE OF MY SOUL AND MY FAMILY BEFORE MY MINISTRY
- What spiritual discipline am I focusing on to nourish my own soul in the next 3 months?
- What is my number one family priority in the next 3 months and what steps am I taking to achieve it?
- What area of my leadership needs the most attention right now?
- Who can speak wise and godly advice into my life with the current issues I'm dealing with?
BE INTENTIONAL ABOUT MY DECISIONS
- What should I stop doing?
- What opportunities is God specifically and intentionally leading me into?
WORK HARD AT THE THINGS GOD HAS CALLED ME TO DO AND BE AS A PASTOR
- Am I protecting my best time to write and teach well as a leader?
- What are my top 2 or 3 ministry priorities this week and have I structured my schedule to achieve them?