I was listening to a podcast today on the way home from L.A. and it was an interview with leadership/consultant/author/guru: Patrick Lencioni.
He had 3 things to say about leading people that were great reminders (my words, his points) as I work to lead well in my ministry:
- People do not live for recognition, but they cannot live without it.
- My leadership take away: write and speak words of encouragement and appreciation often.
- People need to know their lives matter above their jobs- even if it is a volunteer job.
- My leadership take away: make sure I rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn. The more I care for them, the more they will feel empowered to care for others.
- People need to have some measurable results they can celebrate.
- My leadership take away: help volunteers develop measurable baby steps in our ministry and celebrate them when they are achieved.