For the last 8 years as a youth pastor in San Diego, our youth ministry has been sponsoring kids around the world. To do this, we put piggy banks on the tables and ask students to bring $1 a week to help us change the world, one kid at a time.
- We started in 2005 with a girl named Luyando in Zambia through World Vision.
- Then we added a boy named Hector in Tijuana through a local organization that we work with called His Ministries. We go visit Hector 2 or 3 times a year and bring his family giant amounts of food to use for the months ahead.
- Then we started sponsoring an orphanage in Uganda.
- Then we added Marvin in El Salvador.
- Then Ruby in India.
- Lastly, we added a girl named Keke in Thailand through Compassion International.
Special greetings to you and your family. How are you? I guess you're doing fine. I'm fine back here and my family is fine too. I was so grateful and still am for the money you sent for me amounting to 100 U.S. dollars. As a family, we are all happy for your support which will go a long way. We thank you so much and pray that you have a long life. With the money my father managed to buy me the clothes that I am wearing, books for school, gumboots, a few groceries, and some iron sheets to roof our house which was grass thatched. It's rain season here so the money came at just the right time. Now we no longer worry about the roof, no matter how it rains. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year to you. With love, Luyando.