I think that leaders are learners.
I think that leaders must be applying their learning to their own life first.
I want to be that kind of leader.
In order to apply my own learnings to my own life, I have discovered I need at least quarterly evaluation points or my learnings just become something of my past. I have decided that there are some natural and some local mile markers in my own life that I want to utilize for this purpose.
- January 1- a new year
- April 11- my birthday
- June 25- my wedding anniversary
- September- labor day which is the day Jake was born on and is an easy day to mark the fall quarter.
- we had a physical fitness trainer and nutritionist come and talk with our high school and college students on Sunday afternoon about the Biblical mandate to take care of our bodies. It was a great reminder and even had some information that was new to me. The most revealing of which was that he said that 80% of our diseases and physical ailments in America are actually a result of choices. If that is true, then the logical conclusion is that I'm choosing the condition of my body, how much energy I have, and even what will eventually kill me based on three factors he said:
- MY EATING HABITS:
- MY EXERCISE HABITS
- MY REST PATTERNS
- Chew on that for a while. What you eat and how you exercise and how you rest are determining how long you'll live and what you'll eventually die from... 80% of the time.
- He also gave each of our students a customizable 30 day online eating and exercise plan that I'm going to use this season of my life to dive into. I'm kinda stoked about how that could actually change my life. But the truth is, it's time to practice what is not really knew news to me. But at 39 the next phase of my life is directly being affected by the choices I am making today. And I have some big goals that are gonna require a healthy me. From my end, I need to do my part. Game on.