Friday, September 11, 2009


Tonight Journey kicked off another character study series. This time on Elijah.

I think I'm gonna have to add this to the mix in high school and do an annual character study. I really think they are great and they inspire me to want to not waste my life on crap that doesn't matter- which is really really easy to do in my estimation/observation/experience.

Tonight I was reminded of how we all have choices and if you want to make a seriously influential dent in the history of the world, then you don't have to be great... you just have to be tight with a GREAT GOD. What a reassuring truth that is for a schmuck like me.

I loved this 1/2 a verse about Elijah and his obedience to God.

  • "So he did what the LORD had told him." (1 Kings 17:5a)
Simple enough. Yeah.... now go do it. Elijah changed the world because he did.

As I thought about this truth in service, several other characters came to mind. Ed mentioned three of them in service. Here's the first ones I thought of that validated the point even further:
  • ABRAHAM: "Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness." (Genesis 15:6)
  • ENOCH: Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away. (Genesis 5:24)
  • NOAH: “Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.” (Genesis 6:9)
  • MOSES: "The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend." (Exodus 33:11a) "Moses did just as the LORD commanded him." (Numbers 17:1)
  • DAVID: “As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” (Psalms 42:1-2)
  • JOB: "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” (Job 1:8)
  • SIMEON: "Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him." (Luke 2:25)
There are countless others in the Scriptures, but these all seem to me to be people who took God at his word and bet the farm that a life with God is way better than one without.

"I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people." (Leviticus 26:12)

I want to push my chips to the center of the table and bet the farm on that truth too.



My Photo
San Diego, CA
Husband. Dad. Jesus Follower. Friend. Learner. Athlete. Soccer coach. Reader. Builder. Dreamer. Pastor. Communicator. Knucklehead.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by 2008

Back to TOP