Friday, August 06, 2010

"QUOTED" FROM OUR ROAD TRIP TO IDAHO

Well my family had been trying to get to Idaho to visit some long time friends, Adam and Andrea Johnston for forever it seems.

We moved to San Diego 5 years ago, just about the time they moved to Idaho and we haven't seen one another since. We've made several attempts to cross paths, but circumstances beyond our control canceled a cruise together in the Caribbean, a flight to Boise in CA fire season, and even a quick trip to Disneyland last winter... so we were determined to make our summer plans to see them a reality.

I'll spend several posts summarizing some of my learnings and discoveries, but here's some quotes I logged on our 2516 mile trip that took us through CA, NV, AZ, UT, ID, and OR in 8 days.


"WILL WE BE HAVING BATHROOM BREAKS?"- Tyler
  • He asked this amazing question before we left our driveway. Welcome to the world of 5 kids on a roadtrip.

"FOLLOW THE FLOAT"- Billy.
"YOU MEAN GO WITH THE FLOW?"- Shannon- kinda confused.
"YEAH MOM, GO WITH THE FLOW."- Billy
  • Shannon kept trying to tell our kids that our schedule was flexible based on so many factors and that they should just stop asking so many questions and "go with the flow". Billy, in his attempt to still learn crazy English idioms tried to tell shannon to stop asking questions when we were in Vegas with this one. Too funny.




"I'M GONNA MAN UP, CUZ THAT'S WHAT MEN DO, AND I'M A MAN"- Jake.
  • Jake said this after he asked me while camping if he could ride back to camp on his bike without his shirt on after swimming. I asked him, "What are you going to do if you fall and get scraped up?" This was his response. I have no idea what God has in store for this kid, but some days, I just can't wait to see it.
"YOU NEED TO HIDE BEHIND SOMETHING BIG"- Becky to Adam
  • This was Becky telling Adam that his hide and seek place sucked. He was "hiding" behind a light post and asked Becky if this was a good spot. Becky held our her hands to explain to him that he needed a "Biiiggg" item to hide his body behind. Adam repeated this phrase to us at least once a day for the rest of the trip.

"ARE YOU FRIENDS OR FAMILY?" - Waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings.
"FAMILY... WE'VE KNOWN EACH OTHER LONG ENOUGH"- Adam
  • I met Andrea almost my first year in full time youth ministry. I then met Adam when he wanted to volunteer on our staff when Andrea was in college and serving part time on our admin team at church. Eventually they dated and I did their wedding. We've been on countless ministry related trips together and share tons of crazy stories.... so our history is long and deep. I was reminded how precious long term friends really are.

0 comments:

About

My photo
San Diego, CA
Husband. Dad. Jesus Follower. Friend. Learner. Athlete. Soccer coach. Reader. Builder. Dreamer. Pastor. Communicator. Knucklehead.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP